How To Get Your Tile And Grout Clean And Keep It Clean
Tile is beautiful, although over time it can become unsightly if you don't care for it properly and keep the grout in between the tile clean. That gorgeous tile and grout can accumulate with mold, mildew and everyday dirt, allowing you to see where you have the most foot traffic and leaving you with mismatched grout (where you have clean and dirty grout). Cleaning your grout the right way will help keep your grout clean and looking like new. See below for some cleaning and care tips.
What You'll Need:
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 tsp. liquid dish soap
- 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- Spray bottle
- Combine the ingredients into a spray bottle, then shake it gently to combine the ingredients.
- Spray your grout and tile with the mixture and allow it to sit for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Use a sponge or a soft scrub brush to scrub away the stains on your grout.
- If you don't have a lot of stains, you can just use the spray and wipe down your tile and grout immediately.
These ingredients help to remove stains, without any harsh chemicals. Bleach and some other types of cleansers have harsh chemicals that are not good for you to inhale while cleaning and can be too harsh on your tile and grout. The chemicals can breakdown your grout and actually make your grout dirtier, as dirt may stick to your grout easier.
To help prevent a breakdown of your grout, you should re-seal your grout to help preserve the color and prevent staining.
To seal the grout, you should clean it thoroughly as directed above. Once it's clean and all of the stains have been removed, you can seal the grout.
- Purchase grout sealer (there are spray sealers available), which can be found at your local hardware store.
- Apply the sealer as directed, trying to get it onto the grout, not on the tile (unless directed).
- Allow the grout sealer to dry thoroughly before getting the tile wet (as in a shower).
- Seal your grout at least once per year to prevent stains from marring the grout.
Your tile is beautiful, but will only look as good as the grout keeping it together. Clean and care for your grout and tile properly. Clean it often and prevent a breakdown of the grout by using products that aren't too harsh, and seal your grout at least once per year.
Hire a professional, such as from Superior Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning Inc, to deep clean your tile and grout if you aren't able to get it clean on your own.